Are you a snacker? My snacking habit fluctuates depending on the week; sometimes, I’m fine having three large meals without munching in between. Other times, however, I never feel satiated, and my desk drawers at work are filled to the brim with all manner of edible goodies. During weeks like these, I spend way too much money on bars, chocolate, and crackers, even when I know I can make something cheaper (and healthier!) at home.
Next time I’m craving a snack, this sweet and savory trail mix will do the trick. You first roast chickpeas in a salt and vinegar marinade until crispy, then mix with nutty pistachios, sweet raisins, and luxurious dark chocolate. Feel free to swap out the nuts and raisins; I imagine walnuts and cranberries would also be delicious. Be assured–this trail mix will save you next time you’re in need of a snack!
Sweet And Savory Trail Mix
- 1 1/2 cups chickpeas (1 can)
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/3 cup pistachios
- 1/3 cup raisins
- 1/3 cup dark chocolate chips
1. Heat oven to 425°F.
2. Rinse chickpeas, then lay them out between two paper towels and pat dry (this helps them get extra crispy in the oven!).
3. Put chickpeas in a large bowl and add vinegar, sea salt, and olive oil. Mix to coat.
4. Put chickpeas on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake for 45 minutes, until golden.
5. In a large bowl, mix together pistachios, raisins, chocolate chips, and baked chickpeas. Store in a glass container and keep refrigerated.
Also by Molly: Vegan Lentil Soup with Leek & Thyme
Related: Indian-Spiced Roasted Chickpeas
Get more like this—Subscribe to our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photos: Molly Lansdowne