Growing up, pecans were a very special treat. Luckily, my grandmother’s friend had some very impressive pecan trees growing in her front yard — a major perk of Texas country living. So, once the fall season rolled around, my grandmother and I would rush on over with our baskets in tow.
Fast forward to present day, and pecans are still an absolute favorite of mine. Which explains why they were the first thing to come to mind when I was thinking of a way to spice up my (now rather mundane) sugar cookie recipe.
A handful of pecans, plus a dash of cinnamon and voila! This deliciously Snickerdoodle-esque recipe was born! The cinnamon adds scrumptious flavoring, while the pecans add just the right amount of crunch to give you the perfect treat to please your sweet tooth.
Besides the delicious taste, the best thing about this recipe is that it’s extremely easy to make! Without further ado, I hope you enjoy this incredibly simple vegan cinnamon pecan sugar cookie recipe!
Vegan Cinnamon Pecan Cookies
- 1 3/4 cups unbleached flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup softened vegan butter (such as Earth Balance)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons almond milk
1. Preheat oven to 350°F and lightly grease a baking pan.
2. Combine the flour, sugar, brown sugar, baking powder, salt, and ground cinnamon in a medium bowl.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk together the unsweetened applesauce, the vanilla extract, and the almond milk.
4. Pour the wet mixture into the dry one and mix all of the ingredients together.
5. Add the softened vegan butter to the mixture and mash with a spoon until it’s well combined.
6. Fold in the chopped pecans.
7. Using a tablespoon, scoop out a spoonful of the dough. Form it into a ball and place on the oiled baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining dough and be sure to place them about 2 inches apart. (I like to squish the dough balls between my hands to flatten them but you can also use a spoon to gently flatten the dough once it’s on the baking sheet.)
8. Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until the dough is golden brown.
9. Remove from oven and allow the cookies to cool. Then they’re ready to eat!
10. Store any leftover cookies in an airtight container for 3-5 days.
Related: Cherry Almond Muesli Cookies
Get more like this—Subscribe to our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photos: Audrey Enjoli