There seems to be a lot of talk recently about whether or not a “healthy holiday cookie” truly exists. Is there really a cookie that is festive, fun, AND wholesome? So, of course, I took this as a personal challenge and set out to make one that is as nutritious as it is delicious.
Enter the muesli cookie.
I’m relatively new to muesli, and I usually soak it in almond milk overnight for a quick breakfast. I love the mixture of grains and dried fruits without all of the added sugar. The hearty texture and subtle sweetness also work well as the foundation for a cookie.
These Cherry Almond Muesli Cookies are plant-based, gluten-free, and oil-free. They also pack a protein punch provided by the nut/seed butter, almond meal, and muesli. These cookies are dedicated to all the cookie monsters out there who think Santa likes his cookies with some substance to them.
I’m eating a cookie as I wrap up this article because…article inspo, right? I made mine with sunflower seed butter, and I love the unique taste it gives them. The addition of the cherries and chocolate chips add holiday charm. Enjoy!
Vegan Dessert Recipes: Cherry Almond Muesli Cookies
- 1/2 cup nut/seed butter
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon flax seed
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 3/4 cup muesli
- 1/2 cup almond meal
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 cup dried cherries
- 2 tablespoons dairy-free chocolate chips (optional)
2. Prepare your flax egg by mixing the flax seed and water in a large bowl and set aside.
3. In a separate bowl, combine the muesli, almond meal, baking powder, and cinnamon.
4. Add the nut butter and maple syrup to the flax egg and stir to combine.
5. Add the dry ingredients to the wet and mix well. Fold in the dried cherries and chocolate chips (optional).
6. Create cookie balls by using 2 tablespoons of mixture. Place the cookie balls on cookie sheet about 1 inch apart.
7. Flatten cookies with your hands.
8. Bake for 8-10 minutes until lightly browned underneath. Cool on a wire rack and store leftovers in an airtight container.
Also by Lauren: Gluten-Free Kabocha Squash Cranberry Muffins
Related: Chocolate Peppermint Granola
Get more like this—Subscribe to our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photos: Lauren Kirchmaier