During the holidays, do you wake up and have the same breakfast as usual? Or do you want something a little bit more special? (wink wink) I find that all of our holiday cooking focus usually is on the all-important dinner/supper and dessert. It’s exhausting being under so much pressure to make every meal so lavish! But here’s a festive breakfast that won’t stress you out one bit. I actually thought of this recipe because I’ve been lacking in the holiday cheer department and needed a way to infuse some into my life, without causing additional headache. Suddenly I was craving chocolate-y, rich granola fresh from the oven, crispy and crunchy with cool minty flavor, topped with berries and served with almond milk. As usual I’ve made it less sugary and oily than most granola recipes, but it’s still decadent enough to toe the line between treat and breakfast. (So call it brunch!) It took me all of 30 minutes but made me feel so much more cheerful. Now, enough talking–time to go light my Christmas tree! 🙂
Vegan Chocolate Peppermint Granola
- 2 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1/3 cup walnuts (mix of crushed and halves)
- 4 1/2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1/3 cup canola oil or another mild oil
- 4 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
1. Heat oven to 350° F.
2. In a large bowl, combine oats, pumpkin seeds, walnuts.
3. In a smaller bowl, combine oil, cocoa powder, brown sugar, salt, peppermint extract, and water.
4. Add wet mixture to the oats and stir to combine. Lay this flat on a parchment paper-lined cookie sheet.
5. Bake for 12-14 minutes, then turn it over and bake for another 12-14 minutes. Take out of the oven and let cool. Store in airtight container.
Photo: Peaceful Dumpling