One of them is how to shop and cook on the go. It's not so easy to plan your meals when your work is so demanding and you have to make sure you're getting enough nutrients so you can work, whilst having food intolerances and allergies. In addition, usually we stay at small places where the local shop might be limited on ingredients, and even if there's a large grocery store, the storage place is limited and we move around weekly, bi-weekly, so I can't just fill my pantry with everything I might need because I won't be able to move it with me. So I have to be clever with what I eat. My nutrition studies come handy now, and I get to be creative in the kitchen while coming up with recipes that are nourishing, yet the ingredients are easy to get and the dish is quick to make—after 8 hours brushing in the forest with a 12 kg machine or planting trees with heavily loaded planting bags, you don't want to spend much time in the kitchen.
This creamy garlic courgette and cannellini bean bowl is packed with fiber, protein, vitamins and minerals and quick to make and apart from nutritional yeast, every other ingredient is easy to get anywhere. If you don't get vegan cream for cooking you can make your own using cashews. Soak them overnight and blend them with one tsp of lemon juice, salt, pepper, 2 cloves of garlic and a tiny dash of water, depending on the consistency you'd like to get.
GF Vegan Courgette & Cannellini Beans In Creamy Garlic Sauce
- 2 courgettes, cut into chunky pieces
- 6–8 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can canellini beans (400 g)
- extra virgin olive oil
- to taste salt, pepper
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tbsp GF nutritional yeast
- if needed veggie stock
- 1 cup vegan cream
1. Prepare your veggies by chopping the courgette and mincing the garlic.
2. Heat up a large pan over low-medium heat with some olive oil and add courgette. Cook the courgette chunks until they start to caramelize then turn them around and add in garlic.
3. When the other side starts to turn golden as well, season with salt, pepper and Italian herb mix.
You can keep the courgette chunks as they are or use a potato masher to break them a bit for more creaminess.
4. Add in the cannellini beans with the water in the can. Stir in vegan cream and mix well. Add as many veggie stock as needed to get the desired consistency.
Super delicious on its own or as a side dish, if you mashed the courgette it even makes a great dip or topping over your gluten-free toast.
Get more like this—Sign up for our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photo: Imola Toth