The presentation on the plate can influence our perception of taste; turning eating into a more pleasurable experience .
I have always been fascinated by Top Michelin Start chefs in the way they present their creations. We may not be as full of grandeur as these chefs but we can also create a visual feast to complement the flavors of our meals.
Colors, textures, and shapes all play a crucial role in making the dish visually appetizing. Whole food plants can easily offer all three.
Next time you're preparing a meal, take a moment to think about how you can present it in a way that will delight the senses of your loved ones.
This recipe is very versatile as you can use any vegetables you have at hand and I believe potatoes are a staple in every house (if not, they should!).
Make sure to try this recipe out. If you do not have flower cookie cutter; do not worry. Place the mashed potatoes as a bed, then top with the veggie stir-fry on top. Guarantee to be a crowd-pleaser with our friends and family.
Haute Cuisine-Inspired Turmeric Mashed Potato “Flowers”
- 2 Large potatoes, peeled
- 1/4 cup Soy yogurt, unsweetened
- 1/2 tablespoon Turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Black pepper
- 1/2 Avocado, ready to eat
- 4 Garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 cups Kale, coarsely chopped
- 3 Medium plum tomatoes
- 1/2 Small eggplant
- 1/2 Small green pimento pepper
- 3 tablespoons Coconut aminos
- 1 tablespoon Extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons Tahini
- A dash Sweet paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon Sea salt
1. In a medium pot, bring about 4 quarts water to boil. Peel and cut potatoes into 1-inch pieces. Add potatoes to boiling water and cook until tender. Strain the potatoes and set aside in a medium bowl.
2. Add soy yoghurt and turmeric to the boiled potatoes and mash until smooth.
3. In the meantime, add a bit of water and coconut aminos over low heat. Add the garlic, kale, tomatoes, green pepper and eggplant; everything coarsely chopped. Cook on medium-low heat, until vegetables are tender and fragrant.
4. For the flower fantasy mashed potatoes: Wet your cookie cutters with water then press a handful of mashed turmeric potatoes, then flatten as evenly as you can. While the cookie cutter is still in place, remove excess mashed potatoes from around the cookie cutter.
5. Top each flower with some ripe avocado and a dash of sweet paprika.
6. Serve with the oil free veggie stir-fry and some tahini. Drizzle with some raw healthy extra virgin olive oil.
Also by Roberta: Comforting Whole Vegan Minestrone
Get more like this—Sign up for our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photo: Roberta Farrugia