Raise your hand if you love lentils!
I know, me too.
Lentils are at the top of my list for vegan protein options and they are so versatile! These stewed lentils in particular are perfect by themselves, poured over some brown rice or even used as a vegan taco “meat.” They have a kick to heat things up through these chilly months, but alter the spice to your own preference!
I find that whenever I have a good bowl of lentils, I feel so satisfied, warm and cozy. They are the perfect winter food! They are alkalizing, full of fiber and protein, great for the heart and easy on the digestive system. I can go on and on about how amazing these little guys are…but I am sure you’re just about ready to get cooking! Enjoy this recipe, experiment with fresh herbs and make big batches to last all week. These could not be more simple!
(P.S soak lentils for 4-8 hours to make them more digestible and bioavailable!)
Simple and Spicy Stewed Lentils
- 1 quart vegetable stock
- 1 cup lentils, rinsed & drained
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons cilantro
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon, more to taste himalayan or Sea salt
- 1 teaspoon red chili flakes or Aleppo pepper
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- coconut or olive oil for sautéing
1. Sauté all veggies (onion, celery, carrot, garlic) with olive or coconut oil until soft in a large saucepan for 6-7 minutes.
2. Add stock and bring to a boil then add lentils and all seasoning.
3. Bring down to a simmer and cover for 1 hour or until desired consistency. Stir every 20 minutes.
Also by Alexa: Raw Vegan Probiotic Turmeric Hummus
Get more like this—Subscribe to our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photos: Alexa Pizzarello