Despite the short ingredient list, these "everything bagel" kale chips are flavorful and totally addictive. If you're like me, you might be a little intimidated at the prospect of making kale chips. Most recipes require a dehydrator and take a full day to crisp up, which seems to defeat the whole purpose of an easy grab-and-go snack. This recipe doesn't require a dehydrator--just an oven that can be set at a low temperature--and cooks in just 30 minutes. I was inspired to make this recipe a few days ago when I bought a package of "everything bagel"-spiced hummus. After a glance at the simple ingredient list, I immediately thought that these popular spices would make an excellent kale chip. I'm already planning to whip up a new batch next weekend!
Healthy Snacks: Vegan “Everything Bagel” Kale Chips
Recipe Type: Appetizers Detox
YIELDS 20-30 kale chips
- 1/2 head kale
- 2 tablespoons cashew or almond butter
- 1 teaspoon nutritional yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon poppy seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Black pepper, to taste
- 2-3 tablespoons Water
1. Preheat oven to 300°F. 2. De-stem kale and tear into bite-sized pieces. Set aside. 3. In a small bowl, whisk together cashew butter and spices. Whisk in water by the tablespoon until the mixture is a thick but pourable consistency (how much water you use will depend on the consistency of your nut butter; the thinner the nut butter, the less water you'll need). 4. In a large bowl, toss kale and nut butter mixture together. Make sure that each piece of kale is coated in the mixture. 5. Bake chips on a parchment-lined baking sheet for 30 minutes, checking every ten minutes or so to make sure the chips aren't burning. Cooking time with vary depending on a number of factors, so be vigilant! 6. Remove from oven and let cool; the chips will continue to crisp up outside the oven. Serve!
Also by Molly: Vegan Chocolate-Dipped Blood Oranges
Related: Cajun Kale Chips
Thyme & Oregano Homemade Potato Chips
Get more like this—Subscribe to our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photos: Molly Lansdowne