I've never been a big fan of fruit in salads. I think of salads as a savory affair, so it's always seemed a little odd to taste pops of sweetness amid my greens and veggies. This winter salad changed things for me. Citrus is so abundant in the winter months, so it felt like a perfect time to experiment and go outside my comfort zone. Once I added mandarins to a salad of bitter watercress and creamy, neutral-flavored avocado, I was kicking myself for not trying this combination before! If you've never tried watercress, it's a great alternative to more commonly used kale and spinach. It's also high in vitamin C and iron, as well as vitamin B12 and magnesium. As a bonus, it's delicious, especially this time of year. Now, go forth and make this delicious winter salad!
Vegan Winter Salad With Watercress, Mandarins & Lentils
YIELDS 2 servings
- 3 cups watercress, chopped
- 2 small mandarins, peeled and segmented
- 1/2 cup dry lentils
- 1/2 avocado, diced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons champagne or white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup or agave
- salt and black pepper to taste
1. Put lentils in a small pot and cover with enough water to completely submerge. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook until soft, about 30 minutes. 2. While the lentils are cooking, prepare the salad dressing. In a small bowl, whisk together olive oil, vinegar, lemon juice, maple syrup, salt, and pepper. 3. In a large bowl, toss together watercress, mandarin, lentils, avocado and dressing. Serve.
Also by Molly: Warm Golden Turmeric Milk
Related: Spicy Lentil & Quinoa Salad
Get more like this—Subscribe to our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photos: Molly Lansdowne