Last weekend I found a bunch of wild black raspberry bushes growing in my backyard. I’ve been going outside daily to fill a bowl of berries and adding them to smoothies and salads. I was making a vegan chicken salad with black raspberries and honey mustard when I decided to combine the two flavors to create their own dressing.
I always add some type of fresh herb to homemade dressing to give it a vibrant, bright flavor. There’s a giant patch of mint growing right next to my raspberries so naturally this was the herb I chose to use. This would also be good with rosemary or sage. You can use any variety of mustard you prefer, using stone ground or brown for a more spicy dressing or dijon for a more mild flavor. I used the stone ground mustard from the recipe posted last week and it came out perfectly sweet and tangy.
1. Add the black raspberries and cane sugar to a small pot over low heat. Stir and let the blackberries break down until it turns syrupy, about ten minutes.
2. In a mixing bowl, whisk together the vinegar, oil, honey, and mustard.
3. Stir in the blackberries and mint.
4. Add salt and pepper to taste.
5. Serve over a vegan chicken salad with blackberries, onions, cucumber, and mint.