I love any and all kinds of mustard but my favorite is definitely stone ground. It adds a tangy, sharp flavor wherever it’s added, and it has little bits and pieces of mustard seed in it to add texture. It’s also super simple to make at home, and naturally has a bunch of vitamins and minerals from the seeds. I used a mortar and pestle to grind the seeds but you could also use a spice grinder.
By making this mustard at home you are able to adjust the amount of spice according to taste. Yellow mustard seeds are the standard, most mild variety. Brown mustard seeds are much more spicy so you can add more or less depending on your preference. You could also add a teaspoon of organic honey if you want to cut some of the spice. This can be used on sandwiches, in dressings, as a dipping sauce, etc.
Spicy Stone Ground Mustard
- 6 tbsp yellow mustard seeds
- 2 tbsp brown mustard seeds
- 2 tsp himalayan sea salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp water
1. Grind the seeds using a mortar and pestle or in a spice grinder. Pour into a mixing bowl.
2. Add in the salt and pepper and stir.
3. Add the apple cider vinegar and water and mix well.
4. Store in a jar in the fridge. If it initially seems at all thin, it will thicken as the seeds absorb the liquid.
Get more like this—Sign up for our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photo: Lauren Sacerdote