One of my favorite things about summer is the amount of fresh herbs I have access to at any given time. The windowsills in my kitchen are currently lined with any herb you could possibly need while cooking. The addition of fresh herbs can completely transform some dishes. This caprese salad sandwich combines the peppery flavor of basil with a sweet-tart balsamic glaze, atop sliced vegan cheese and tomato slices.
I always have an abundance of tomatoes in the summer because they grow like crazy in the garden. This is a wonderful and quick way to use up some fresh tomatoes when they start sprouting up in a couple of months. You don’t have to toast the bread, but I do recommend it because it helps absorb the juices from the tomato and balsamic without getting soggy.
Vegan Caprese Sandwich
- 2 slices bread
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 clove minced garlic
- 4-5 slices vegan cheese
- 1 tomato, sliced
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp honey
- to top fresh basil
- to taste cracked black pepper
1. Pre-heat oven to 400F.
2. To make the balsamic reduction, add the balsamic and honey to a small pot and heat until boiling. Reduce to a simmer and stir often for about 15 minutes, until the amount reduces by about half.
3. While the vinegar is reducing, place the bread on a baking sheet. In a small bowl, mix together the olive oil and minced garlic. Brush onto the sliced bread. Bake for 5 minutes.
4. Remove from oven and top with cheese and tomato. Return to oven for another five minutes and remove.
5. Top with fresh basil and cracker pepper. Drizzle with the balsamic glaze.
Get more like this—Sign up for our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photo: Lauren Sacerdote