I was reading a recipe book the other day when I came across a recipe that reminded me a lot of the potato potage of my great-grandmother. She had Swabian ancestors, I feel like it is mirrored in the recipe as well.
It made me so nostalgic I could not stop thinking about that potage she used to make. Enjoy this hearty potato soup with aromas of horseradish and dill!
Potato Soup With Horseradish & Dill
- 60g vegan butter
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1,5 kg potato, peeled and cubed
- veggie broth
- 2 bay leaf
- 3dl vegan sour cream
- 2 tbs horseradish cream
- 400g pickled cucumber, cubed
- 2 handful dill, chopped
- 1 tbs brown sugar
- 2 tbs apple cider vinegar
- to taste salt, pepper
1. In a pan, over medium heat sauté the garlic over the vegan butter. Stir in the cubed potatoes, so the butter covers it all. Pour the veggie broth over the potatoes, only that much that covers them. Season with salt and pepper and bay leaf.
2. Cover it with a lid and cook for about 15 minutes until potatoes become fork tender. Then turn off the heat and tke out about the 1/3 of the potato along with the broth and blend it until smooth. Mix it back in the pottage to thicken it.
3. Mix in the sour cream, horse radish cream and cubed cucumbers. Don’t cook with these, just mix it in. If needed adjust the taste with a little sugar and apple cider vinegar.
Serve it warm or cold, either ways it’s heavenly.
I made mushroom bacon to mine but you can also add croutons or some kind of vegan sausage.
Get more like this—Sign up for our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photo: Imola Toth