My go-to way to prepare plantains is to simply cook them in coconut oil. I wanted to keep the coconut flavor that the oil adds but reduce the oil so I decided to bake them adding coconut flakes. Once baked, these become super sweet and soft and the warming spices add a savory touch.
I usually make plantains when I want to add substance to whatever meal I’m eating. These plantains are hearty enough to be eaten on their own for breakfast or as a filling snack but they also taste delicious when used as a topping over rice and greens. This recipe is extremely cheap and takes only about five minutes to make.
Cinnamon Spiced Baked Coconut Plantains
- 2 ripe plantains
- 1 tbsp Earth Balance vegan butter
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ginger
- 1 tbsp coconut flakes
- 2 tbsp coconut cream
- 3/4 cup water
1. Preheat oven to 350F.
2. Melt butter in a small pot.
3. Peel the plantains and place in a baking dish.
4. Brush the plantains with the melted butter. Top with spices and coconut flakes.
5. In a blender, blend together the coconut cream and the water. Pour into the bottom of the baking sheet.
6. Bake for 30 minutes. The plantains will then nice and soft.
7. Serve with leftover coconut cream (whisk a little coconut cream in a bowl).
Get more like this—Sign up for our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photo: Lauren Sacerdote