Biko, also known as Malagkit, is a delicious vegan, gluten-free sweet rice cake made with the three most basic ingredients—sticky rice, coconut milk, and brown sugar. Try this comforting treat from the Philippines with a cup of chai latte or your favorite non-dairy milk. Enjoy!
Sweet Coconut Rice Cake (Biko)
- 2 cups uncooked sticky rice
- 4 cups coconut milk
- 2 cups dark brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/4 tsp salt
1. Wash the sticky rice and put in a pot with water. Cook till it’s almost 90% done. We don’t want to cook it completely.
2. In another pot mix the coconut milk and brown sugar, and cook for around 12- 15 minutes till it starts thickening. Take out a cup of this mixture and keep aside.
3. Add the cooked rice to this coconut milk mixture and cook for another 8-10 minutes or till rice completely absorbs the liquid. Switch off the gas.
4. Evenly spread rice on a baking dish. Pour the liquid taken out earlier and spread it evenly on top of rice.
5. Bake it in a pre-heated oven for around 45-50 minutes at 180 degrees Celsius. Once done, take out the tray and allow to cool on a cooling rack.
6. When it reaches the room temperature, cut out pieces in desired shape and size. You can serve it warm, cold or at room temperature. Personally, I like it the most when served warm.
Get more like this—Sign up for our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photo: Vandana Chauhan Sood