Aloo Baingan is a delicious vegan and gluten-free recipe from India. Made with eggplants and potatoes this dish tastes great with Indian bread, rice, and dal.
- 3 medium eggplants
- 2 medium potatoes
- 2 medium tomatoes
- 1 medium red onion
- 3-4 garlic cloves
- 1 small knob of ginger
- 2-3 green chilies
- handful coriander leaves (cilantro)
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/4 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1/2 tablespoon coriander powder
- to taste salt
- 1 tablespoon mustard oil or any cooking oil of choice
1. Finely chop the garlic, onion, chilies, tomatoes, and coriander leaves. Thinly slice onion and grate ginger. Dice the eggplants and potatoes. I have cut them in long pieces, you can also make medium sized cubes.
2. Heat oil in a pan and add cumin seeds, when they start spluttering, add in garlic and saute for a few seconds.
3. Next, add onion and stir fry till it starts turning brown.
4. Add tomatoes, green chilies, all the spices, and salt. Mix and cook till the tomatoes turn mushy.
5. Once the tomatoes are done, add in the potatoes, mix well, cover the pan and cook till the potatoes are 70% done.
6. Now, add the eggplant pieces, mix, cover the pan and cook for another 10-12 minutes or till the eggplants are cooked. If required add 2-3 tablespoons of water.
7. When the eggplants are nicely cooked, add grated ginger and chopped coriander leaves, mix, cover the pan and let it cook for another 1-2 minutes and then switch off the gas.
8. Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and serve with roti/ paratha or rice and dal.
Related: Creamy Vegan Chana Masala
Get more like this—Sign up for our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photo: Vandana Chauhan Sood