Sweet corn is in season in New England and I keep seeing it in abundance priced at about $0.19 an ear. I remember going to a restaurant and paying almost five dollars for their version of Mexican street corn. It was corn on the cob brought to life with lime juice, chili powder, and spices. Typical street corn has cheese on it so this recipe substitutes nutritional yeast in its place.
This is a super simple side to make with dinner that you can toss in the oven while you prepare the rest of the meal. If I had a grill I would have grilled the corn to give it some of that smoky charred flavor, but an oven works just fine. I served my corn with greens and jackfruit but this could be eaten on its own or paired with almost anything. If you want a little more kick, add an extra 1/4 tsp chili powder.
Vegan Mexican Street Corn
- 2 ears of corn
- juice from half of a lime
- 1 tbsp earth balance butter
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp nutritional yeast
- to top fresh cilantro
- to taste salt & pepper
1. Preheat oven to 450F.
2. Peel husk off corn and wrap in tinfoil.
3. Bake for 25 minutes.
4. Remove from oven and sprinkle with lime juice. It is important to do this step first so you don’t ‘wash off’ the spices if you added the juice later.
5. Spread on the butter and add your spices.
6. Top with fresh cilantro and salt and pepper to taste.
Get more like this—Sign up for our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photo: Lauren Sacerdote