Strawberries and spinach are a classic summer salad combination. Strawberries are finally in season and they are so much sweeter than conventional strawberries that you can buy year round. This salad is super refreshing on a hot day and it’s packed with tons of vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants.
I have noticed that lot of restaurants top this salad with chicken as an added protein. I simply swapped out the chicken for chickpeas and they are just perfectly bland enough to let the other flavors of this salad shine while adding a little substance. This salad is a simple and delicious way to use up some berries from your strawberry picking bounty and is perfect to bring along to a picnic or a potluck.
Strawberry Spinach Chickpea Salad
- 2 cups spinach
- 1/2 cup strawberries, cut in half
- 1/4 cup red onion
- 1/2 cup chickpeas, rinsed and drained well
- handful of fresh basil
- 1/2 avocado
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp honey
- salt & pepper to taste
1. Add the spinach to a plate.
2. In a small bowl, add the chickpeas, strawberries, onion, and basil. Mix.
3. In another small bowl, whisk together the oil, vinegar, and honey. Add to the chickpea strawberry mix and stir well to coat.
4. Pour chickpeas over spinach.
5. Top with avocado.
6. Season with salt and pepper.
Get more like this—Sign up for our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photo: Lauren Sacerdote