Wether you are in snowy New York or hot Sydney when Christmas and New Years is over, most of us still crave Christmas flavors; it is hard not to miss the cozy family- and friends-filled potlucks the holiday seasons bring. If you want to enjoy a healthy, yet also filling lunch or dinner bowl, a warm winter salad might be the perfect meal to indulge in while having a Christmas taste on the tongue. Of course, you can change this recipe to fit your palate, so the following is just a suggested nutty pumpkin salad bowl.
Warm Nutty Winter Salad With Pumpkin & Quinoa
Recipe Type: Salads
YIELDS 1 salad bowl
- 1/2 cup White quinoa
- 1/2 cup Brown quinoa
- 1 cup Fresh or frozen diced pumpkin
- 1 cup Asparagus
- 1 cup Spinach or arugula
- 1/2 cup Chopped walnuts
- 1/3 cup Pomegranate Seeds
- 1 Lemon
- 1/4 cup Sesame paste/tahini
- Salt/pepper to taste
- In a pot, combine the white and brown quinoa and add 2 cups of water. Bring to a boil; then cover and reduce heat to low. Simmer the quinoa for about 15 minutes.
- Place the pumpkin in a second pot, add 3 cups of water and bring to a boil. Boil for about 10 minutes and then add the cut-up asparagus and boil for another 5 minutes. Once done, drain the water.
- In a bowl, combine all the ingredients: quinoa, pumpkin, asparagus, spinach/arugula, walnuts, and pomegranate seeds.
- For the dressing, combine the lemon juice, sesame paste and salt/pepper and drizzle over the salad.
- Enjoy warm or cold.
Photo: Tatiana von Rheinbaben