I had a couple cans of pumpkin left over from the holidays and decided to whip up something tasty. It is hard to call this simply a “bread” recipe because breads just aren’t this good! Plus, its texture is moist and dense like a cake.This recipe will satisfy a sweet tooth, makes a great addition to breakfast, and can be topped with any kind of jam, apple butter or (dare I suggest) vegan cream cheese.
Vegan Pumpkin Spice Cake
- 3 cups coconut sugar
- 3 cups flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp cloves
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1 cup canola oil
- 1 cup filtered water
- 2 cups solid pumpkin
- 4 egg alternatives like flax egg
- 3/4 cup raisins
- 3/4 cup pecans or walnuts, chopped
1. If using flax egg, soak 4 tbsp of ground flax in 3/4 cup water to make 4 “eggs.”
2. In a large mixing bowl, sift together sugar, flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and spices.
3. Add oil, water, pumpkin, “eggs” raisins and nuts. Mix well.
4. Grease 2 loaf pans and bake at 325 or 45 mins to 1 hour 15 minutes. I actually used one loaf pan and one small casserole dish. Just remember the more shallow your pan, the faster it will bake and adjust your bake time accordingly.
5. Check with toothpick at 45 minutes. Mine was done in just over an hour.
Related: Vegan Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Muffins
Get more like this—Sign up for our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photo: Rachael Coker