This super delicous stuffed mushroom recipe will make a non-mushroom lover lick their fingers if they try it. These little mushroom boats are perfect as main dish when paired with fresh salad and rice but they are also a great starter with a dip.
Vegan Stuffed Mushrooms With Tomato Sauce
- 4-6 large sized mushrooms
- 250 g tofu
- 4 tbs olive oil
- 1-2 tbs lemon juice
- to taste salt, pepper, basil, thyme, rosemary, nutmeg,oregano, parsley
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 pieces tomatoes, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cans tomato sauce
- (optional) shredded vegan cheese
For the mushrooms:
1. Preheat the oven to 180* C. Wash the mushrooms and remove the stems. In a blender mix the stems with tofu (The best is with smoked tofu, trust me), 2 tbs of olive oil, a pinch of salt, pepper, basil, oregano and thyme and a little lemon juice. If you find the mixture isn’t creamy enough, you can add more lemon juice or oil.
2. Once you get a nice creamy mixture, fill the mushrooms with it.
3. Place a parchment paper on a baking tray and and lay the stuffed mushrooms and bake them for about 30 minutes, then sprinkle them with grated vegan cheese and put them back in the oven until the cheese melts.
For the sauce:
4. Meanwhile heat up the remaining olive oil in a pan over medium heat and sauté the onion until it becomes translucent.
5. Then add diced tomato with a dash (or more if you like) salt, pepper, oregano, thyme rosemary, nutmeg and basil and parsley. Stir for about 2 minutes, then pour the tomato juice to the onion and tomatoes. Slowly bring to boil, occasionally stirring, then remove from heat.
You can serve the mushroom boats with the sauce and other fried/boiled veggies or with salad. I love to prep is with rice, so the carbs give me extra boost at work.
Get more like this—Sign up for our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photo: Imola Toth