I created this recipe based on the traditional Hungarian lentil stew recipe, but spiced a little up with Italian style. Hence my boyfriend is half Italian we really like Italian cuisine, and mix it with our Hungarian cuisine very often. This recipe is the result of our successful experiment. The best things that you can eat it hot to warm you up on cold winter days, or eat it cold to cool you down on hot summer days.
Vegan Lentil Stew With Spinach
- 250 g lentil
- 1 liter veggie broth
- 4 medium carrots, chopped
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 green onion, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 canned diced tomato
- 2 dreid bay leaves
- to taste thyme, ground cumin, salt, black pepper, cayenne pepper
- 3 handful baby spinach, roughly chopped
- 2 tbs balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbs olive oil
1. Heat the oil in a big pot and sauté the onions until they become translucent.
2. Then add the carrots and the lentil to the onions and stir if for about 2-3 minutes.
3. Add all the ingredients to the pot, except for the balsamic vinegar and spinach.
4. Cover and bring it to a boil over medium heat. When the lentils are cooked, turn off the heat and stir in the spinach and balsamic vinegar.
5. Before serving allow enough time for the spinach to wilt (around 10 minutes).
The slower you cook it, the better the taste will be.
Optionally serve it with soya yogurt or grated vegan cheese and toasted bread.
Get more like this—Sign up for our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photo: Imola Toth