I was a bit suspicious when my Chinese friend told me what secret ingredient I should add to my sweet and sour tofu recipe, because at home, I just couldn’t get the right taste until now. Thanks to her I don’t need to go to the Chinese restaurant when I crave something sweet and sour, it’s especially good during winter, because it makes super lazy. ;D
You can eaither roast the cauliflower if the time allows it or you can pan fry it if you’re in a rush.
Sweet & Sour Tofu with Cauliflower
- 1 pack extra firm tofu
- 1 tbs soy sauce
- 1 tbs apple cider vinegar
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 green onion, sliced
- 1 cup veggie broth
- 1/2 cauliflower, chopped
- 2 tbs ketchup
- 2 tbs cornstarch
- 1 tbs coconut oil
- black pepper to taste
1. Slice the tofu into one inch cubes. Add to a bowl and coat it with one table spoon of the cornstarch. This step is optional, many people don’t like cornstarch, so you can skip it.
2. In a big pan heat up the coconut oil and cook the tofu for 5-10 minutes on medium heat until the tofu turns golden brown. Keep tossing to avoid burning. Transfer the tofu to a plate when done and set it aside.
3. Add the cauliflower to the pan along with the crashed garlic and cook for about 5 minutes. 4. Then add the ketchup and season with black pepper. Let it simmer for 2 more minutes.
5. Meanwhile in a bowl, whisk the cornstarch and the broth together and pour it over the cauliflower. Let it cook until sauce thickens. Add the tofu, lower the heat and add the green onions as well.
You can serve it with rice or even with rice noodles.
Photo: Imola Toth