Ever since I first heard about nacho soup I wanted to try it. It was 8 years ago, while I was an exchange student in Korea. The guy who sat next to me at Korean class was Mexican and talked a lot. He took me to a Mexican restaurant near the university and he was very disappointed because they didn’t had this special soup he was looking for. It caught me. I love Mexican food but never thought about mixing a main dish, a soup in this case, with my snack, nachos. Who wouldn’t love that? Especially on cold winter days like these?! The vegan nacho soup recipe is very simple. just 1 pot is required.
Vegan Nacho Soup
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium red bell pepper, sliced
- 4 cups veggie stock
- 1 can diced tomato
- 2 tbs maple syrup
- 1 can beans, drained
- 1 can corn, drained
- to taste salt, pepper, chili sauce, cumin powder
- 250 g tortilla chips
- optional lime, sliced
1. Heat the oil in a large pan over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, red bell pepper, salt and pepper. Cook for about 5 minutes, frequently stirring until onions are translucent.
2. Then add cumin powder and few drops of chilli sauce along with the tomato, veggie stock and maple syrup. Combine, then bring it to boil over high heat.
3. When it starts to boil reduce the heat back to low and add beans and corn, cover and let it cook for about 30 minutes.
Serve it with nacho chips and lime. Optionally you can add sour cream, sliced jalapeno, diced onion, avocado or replace the beans with black beans. I like to use them but rarely can get them at the store so I just use whatever beans I find.
Get more like this—Sign up for our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photo: Imola Toth