Ah New Year’s. The time we are given a chance to reflect our year and make future plans and resolutions to ensure the year ahead is a better one. Does your New Year’s resolution include eating healthier? Mine does and this pink salad made of beets, spinach and roasted chickpeas with peanut-sesame dressing makes eating salads so much easier. I think you will find eating leafy vegetables a lot easier when drizzled with this delectable peanut and sesame dressing. Make this healthy salad and your 2019 bod will thank you for it!
Beets and Chickpea Salad with Peanut-Sesame Dressing
- 1 ½ cup boiled/canned chickpeas
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne powder
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 3/4 cup boiled spinach, chopped
- 1/2 cup boiled beets, chopped into cubes
- 2 tablespoons good quality peanut butter (or almond butter if you prefer)
- 1 garlic, peeled and chopped
- 3 tablespoons roasted sesame seeds
- 2 tablespoons water
1. Blend all the ingredients for the dressing (nut butter, garlic, roasted sesame seeds, salt and water) until smooth. Set aside.
2. Season the chickpeas with salt, cayenne powder, curry powder and garlic powder. Drizzle olive oil on top. Toss properly. Roast the chickpeas in the oven for about 25 minutes at 180°C or until crunchy and golden brown. Set aside for topping.
3. Season the boiled beets and spinach with salt. Add the dressing, toss until well combined.
4. Top the salad with the roasted chickpeas and more sesame seeds.
Photo: Radhika Bhagchandani