Are you sick of oats for breakfast yet? No? I know, they're pretty darn amazing...but give these a shot anyways! Promise you'll be glad you did, and who knows? Maybe your beloved oats will have found themselves a new rival... Don't let the name lead you astray: buckwheat is actually a wheat-free, gluten-free seed that is packed with antioxidants, amino acids, vitamins, and minerals. It's also high in protein (11-14 g per 100 g), which is less than legumes but higher than most grains.
Buckwheat Cinnamon Apple Breakfast Bowl (High Protein!)
Recipe Type: Breakfast
YIELDS 1 serving
- A little over 1/4 cup Raw Buckwheat Groats (Not Kasha - groats should be greenish!)
- 1.5 cups Water/Plant Milk
- Generous Chunk Fresh Ginger, peeled and chopped small
- Cinnamon (To taste)
- 1 TBSP Ground Flax Seeds (or Chia seeds)
- 1 Date, chopped
- 1-2 cm Vanilla Bean, insides scraped out and outside chopped small (or use Vanilla Essence)
- 1 Apple
- 1 TBSP Almond Butter
- 1 TBSP Hemp Seeds
1. Rinse groats and put in a saucepan with the water/plant milk, ginger, cinnamon, flax seeds, date and vanilla. Bring to a boil.
2. Add in groats and after 2-5 minutes, reduce heat and cover with a lid. Continue cooking until the groats are soft and the porridge is creamy. Add more water if needed to prevent burning.
3. Add in the chopped apple and cook until it turns soft too.
4. Turn heat off and scoop into a bowl. Stir in the almond butter, top with hemp seeds and enjoy! This is a filling and wonderfully yummy breakfast
If you’re usually in a hurry during the morning, try making this ahead of time (eg the weekend) and just warming it up for breakfast. Your body will thank you for it!
Herb-Roasted Savoy Cabbage Rolls With Lentil Filling
Get more like this—Sign up for our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photo: Rebecca Botello