A few years ago, I was obsessed with superfoods. Cacao nibs, goji berries, and spirulina lined my pantry shelves and I scoured the internet for recipes that utilized these ingredients. Nowadays, I mostly stick to whole foods and nutritional supplements rather than spending my paycheck on dubious powders. That said, I will make an exception for maca; I tried this root veggie in powder form for the first time this weekend, and I was blown away by maca’s amazing properties and health benefits: it is known to increase libido, boost immunity, and promote homeostasis in the body.
Maca also tastes delicious. Some people describe it as having an earthy flavor, but I think it tastes like butterscotch. For my first foray into cooking with maca, I took advantage of its caramel taste and stirred it into vegan oatmeal, along with blueberries and coconut cream. I didn’t think the oatmeal needed additional sweetener, but feel free to add some maple syrup if you like.
Creamy Vegan Oatmeal With Blueberries, Maca & Coconut Cream
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup steel cut oats
- 1/4 cup coconut cream
- 1 tablespoon maca powder
- 1/2 cup blueberries (plus more for topping)
- For topping: walnuts, maple syrup, extra coconut cream or blueberries
1. Bring water and oats to a boil, then lower heat and simmer uncovered for 30 minutes.
2. In the last few minutes of cooking, stir in coconut cream, maca powder, and blueberries.
3. Divide oats into bowls and add desired toppings. Serve warm.
Also by Molly: Vegan Peanut Butter Hot Chocolate
Related: No-Bake Vegan Coconut Maca Mounds
Get more like this—Subscribe to our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photos: Molly Lansdowne