This Rosemary Chickpea Vegan Flatbread has quickly become my go-to whenever I’m in need of a filling, nutrient-dense meal. The word “flatbread” sounds intimidating, but I promise these are anything but. No need to worry about finicky yeast; all you need is a few ingredients, most of which I bet you already have in your pantry.
The best part about vegan flatbread is that it can serve as a vehicle for all kinds of delicious fillings. I love stuffing mine full of fresh veggies or a veggie burger. I’m excited to try it with homemade falafel and pickles. Without further ado, here’s the recipe!
Rosemary Chickpea Vegan Flatbread
- 1 cup chickpea flour
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour (or all-purpose flour of choice)
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, minced
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 3/4 cup warm water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Filling of choice (I used a handful of spinach, carrots, hot sauce, and a sauce of tahini mixed with water and lemon juice)
1. Whisk together flours, rosemary, and salt in a medium mixing bowl. Slowly add warm water to the mixture until the dough starts to come together.
2. Knead dough on a floured surface for ten minutes. Grease the mixing bowl with one tablespoon of the olive oil and place ball of bough inside. Cover with a damp towel and let sit for 20 minutes.
3. After 20 minutes, evenly divide the dough into 8 pieces and roll into balls. Using a rolling pin, roll out each flatbread until very thin.
4. Heat olive oil over medium heat. When the skillet is hot, cook one side of the flatbread for 30 seconds. Flip and cook for another 30 seconds. Repeat the step for remaining flatbreads.
5. To assemble your wraps, stuff with veggies of choice and drizzle with dressing or sauce.
Related: Sugar-Free Cardamom Bread
Get more like this—Subscribe to our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photos: Molly Lansdowne