If you’re fond of the fabulous yet underrated duo of lemon and blueberries, then this vegan protein coffee cake is a must try. This healthier version of coffee cake is gluten-free and uses vanilla protein powder, so it’s perfect for a post-workout snack or simple side to Sunday’s brunch. It’s classified as a coffee cake because of the crumbly texture, but it’s not loaded with all the fat and sugar that’s commonly found in coffee cake recipes.
Nutrition (per 1 slice) : Calories: 186 Fat: 3 g Carbs: 26 g Fiber: 5 g Sugars: 7 g Sodium: 472 mg Protein: 10 g
Lemon Blueberry Protein Vegan Coffee Cake
- CAKE INGREDIENTS:
- 1 1/2 cups oat flour (or any gluten-free flour of choice)
- 1 cup blueberries (fresh or frozen)
- 1/3 cup almond meal (coconut flour works, too)
- 1/2 cup vanilla-flavored protein powder (or approximately two 30-gram scoops)
- 1/3 cup stevia for baking
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened applesauce
- 1 flax egg (1 tbsp of flax meal mixed with 3 tbsp of hot water)
- 3/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest (about 1 lemon’s worth)
- TOPPING INGREDIENTS:
- 1/4 cup coconut palm sugar
- 3 tablespoons sliced almonds
- 2 teaspoons quick oats
- 1/2 mashed banana (very ripe medium sized banana)
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1. Preheat your oven to 350°F. Spray a pie dish with cooking spray to prevent sticking. Mix all dry ingredients (oat flour, almond meal, protein powder, stevia, baking powder, baking soda, and salt) in a large bowl. Add the blueberries to the dry ingredients and toss.
2. In a separate bowl, add all the wet ingredients (flax egg, lemon juice, lemon zest, and applesauce) and stir thoroughly. Add the wet ingredients to the dry and fold together until just combined. Pour the batter into your pie dish.
3. Thoroughly combine the topping ingredients in a small bowl and sprinkle over the cake.
4. Bake at 350°F for around 25-30 minutes. If a toothpick comes clean after poking the center, then it’s done. It will also feel spongy to the touch. Be mindful not to over-bake your protein coffee cake or it will be too dry.
5. After it’s cooled, cut the cake into 8 slices.
Get more like this—Subscribe to our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photos: Tyler Tafelsky