- 2 flax eggs
- 2 medium ripe bananas (about 1 cup mashed)
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- Scant 1 cup chai-infused milky tea
- 1/2 cup cashew cream
- 1-1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- Pinch of salt
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup chick pea flour
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1/2 tablespoon vanilla
- 1/3 cup raw pistachio meats, whole or chopped
- sprinkle of unsweetened coconut flakes
2. To make the milky tea, steep two tea chai teabags in a standard mug and add milk until very light in color. (I used Tazo's Vanilla Carmel Chai, but a plain chai would also do.) Let it cool to room temperature.
3. Add the vinegar to a 1-cup measuring cup, and fill the rest with the prepared tea. Set aside. (This is a form of buttermilk.)
4. Mash the bananas in a small bowl with a fork until almost smooth. It's okay if there are some lumps, but try to minimize big pieces.
5. Combine flax eggs, banana, cream, vanilla, and coconut oil in a bowl; stir well. Add spices and flour, and stir until well mixed. Add milky tea last.
6. Pour batter into a loaf pan and spread evenly. Top with pistachios and coconut.
7. Bake at 350°F for 25-30 minutes. A knife should come out clean when it's ready, and the top will be medium-brown in color.
8. Let cool before slicing, and enjoy!
Also by Jennifer: Roots and Herbs Spiced Garlic Soup
Related: Raspberry Rhubarb Bread Pudding
Get more like this—Subscribe to our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photos: Jennifer Kurdyla