In my humble opinion, sweet potatoes are a perfect food. They are the perfect balance of sweet and savory, so they lend themselves to a broad range of recipes. Think about it: what other food can be used in nachos, salad, smoothies, and dessert?!
With the holiday season around the corner, I whipped up these delicious and easy twice baked sweet potatoes–like your grandma’s sweet potato casserole, but vegan. And instead of throwing everything in a dish and baking, I re-stuffed the sweet potato skins for a prettier presentation. The result? A delish grab-and-go dessert that I’m eager to make again and again. No need to wait until November 23 to savor this recipe!
Vegan Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes
- 4 small sweet potatoes
- 1/2 cup coconut milk (or another non-dairy milk or creamer)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup (optional)
- 1/2 cup vegan marshmallows
1. Preheat oven to 400°F.
2. Poke potatoes with a fork a couple times before putting in the oven. Bake for 40-45 minutes, until you can easily pierce them with a fork. Remove from the oven and let cool for 5-10 minutes.
3. When potatoes are cool enough to handle, use a knife to cut lengthwise. Carefully scoop out the flesh and place in a large bowl, making sure to keep the outer skin intact. Repeat for remaining potatoes.
4. Add milk, cinnamon, nutmeg, and maple syrup (if using) to the large bowl. Incorporate into sweet potato mixture until it looks creamy and smooth. If you’d like, you can use an immersion blender to make the mixture extra creamy.
5. Scoop sweet potato mixture back into the skins. Top with marshmallows. Place back in the oven and bake for another 5-10 minutes, until the marshmallows are just starting to brown. Remove from the oven and serve warm.
Hope you enjoy these simple yet delicious twice baked sweet potatoes!
Also by Molly: Vegan Almond Earl Grey Latte
Get more like this—Subscribe to our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photos: Molly Lansdowne