1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. In a ceramic baking dish, add squash halves, insides facing down. Pour water into the dish until it reaches a depth of about 1/4 inch. Place in the oven and bake for 50-60 minutes or until the flesh is soft.
3. While the squash is baking, prepare the pie dough. In a large mixing bowl, add flour, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and coconut oil. Use a fork to blend the mixture until it forms small, even clumps. Add ice water, a spoonful at a time, and blend until you have a ball of dough.
4. On a floured surface, flatten the dough with a rolling pin until it can fill a 9-inch pie form with a 2-inch wall. Mold the dough into the pie form. Pinch the edges as desired. Set aside.
5. When the squash is done cooking, remove from the oven and allow to cool for several minutes. Then, use a spoon to scoop the squash meat from the halves. (You may have leftovers that use can use in a soup.)
6. Add two cups of the squash meat to a blender. Add coconut milk, arrowroot starch, coconut sugar, maple syrup, cinnamon, nutmeg, ground ginger, allspice, clove, and 1/2 salt. Blend until smooth.
7. Add pie blend to the pie dough. Place in the oven (at 350°F) for 60 minutes. Allow to cool completely before serving. Store leftovers in the refrigerator.
Related: Pumpkin Pie Chia Pudding
Perfectly Pumpkin Vegan Pancakes
Kabocha Squash Latte
Get more like this—Subscribe to our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photos: Mary Hood Luttrell