This recipe can be modified by adding whatever fresh vegetables you have on-hand. My favorite vegetables to add are finely chopped red onions, tomatoes, carrots, and broccoli. Then, the final salad mixture can be served on top of a bowl of greens, in a sandwich, or simply on its own. To me, the best part of chickpea salad is its versatility—so many different combinations of vegetables and seasonings work well.
- 1 can, drained Chickpeas
- 1-2 tablespoons Vegan Mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup Red onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons Broccoli, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon Carrots, grated
- sprinkle Salt
- sprinkle Pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon Turmeric
- sprinkle Parsley
1. Drain the chickpeas well. Then, dump them into a bowl and mash with a fork. Some whole pieces are okay, but the majority should be mashed.
2. Add the vegan mayonnaise and mix well. (Add more if necessary! Some chickpeas need a bit more moisture to mash together well.)
3. Next, sprinkle salt and pepper to taste. Add the turmeric for a slightly golden color, and sprinkle parsley on top.
4. Allow the chickpea mixture chill in the fridge while you chop the vegetables. Then, either mix them into the mashed chickpeas or sprinkle them on top before serving.
5. Lastly, scoop the chickpea salad mixture into a bowl on top of some vegetables or lettuce. As an alternative, eat with your favorite bread for a light and nutritious sandwich.
Also by Cassidy: Vegan Molasses Cake
Get more like this—Sign up for our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photo: Cassidy Klingman