Vegan Wholemeal Muesli Muffins
- Wet ingredients:
- 1/2 cup pitted dates (soaked and chopped)
- 1 tbsp chia seeds soaked in 3 tbsp water (1 v "egg")
- 1/2 cup plant milk of choice
- 1/2 cup sunflower oil
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 4–5 tbsp raw cane sugar
- Dry ingredients:
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup wholemeal flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon powder
- Add ons and toppings:
- 1 cup muesli mix and rolled oats
- For glaze (after baking):
- agave syrup
1. In a small bowl, prepare your pitted dates and cover with hot water to soften and set aside.
2. While waiting, make your vegan “egg”—mixing your chia seeds and water until it becomes a tapioca-like texture. This helps bind the muffin mixture. It will thicken within 5–10 minutes while you arrange your other ingredients.
3. Back to your dates, remove from cooled down water (don’t throw away its water) and chop them into fine bits and put them back into the water making your own chunky date paste.
4. In a big bowl, combine all your wet ingredients and raw cane sugar.
5. In the same big bowl, sift all your dry ingredients gradually into the wet mixture and gently mix well (try not to overmix).
6. Add in your choice of muesli mix and fold into the mixture.
7. Add toppings as you like.
8. Preheat your oven to 150°C while you arrange your muffin liners on your muffin baking tray.
9. For each muffin, transfer 3 tbsp of batter and bake for 20–25 minutes (depending on your oven) until fully baked.
10. After baking, drizzle some agave syrup over the muffins for a glossy finish.
11. Enjoy as a to-go breakfast or snack or enjoy it for afternoon tea with vegan butter spread and jam.
See this in video!
Get more like this—Sign up for our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photo: Bel Brosas