This moist vegan cake blends the bold flavor of molasses with a delicious buttery crumb topping. Despite being a sugar, molasses has plenty of nutritional benefits, especially for vegans. Its calcium and iron content make it the perfect plant-based nutritional supplement. There are many ways to incorporate molasses into a healthy diet, including baked goods. It might not be the healthiest choice to eat cake every day, but it is important to note that this recipe is packed with nutrient-rich molasses.
- 4 cups Flour
- 1 cup Sugar
- 1 cup Brown Sugar
- 1/2 pound Vegan butter
- 2 cups Water
- 1 cup Blackstrap molasses
- 2 teaspoons Baking soda
1. Heat two cups of water on the stove or in the microwave until very hot (but not boiling).
2. Mix together flour, sugar, brown sugar, and vegan butter.
3. Remove 1 ½ cups of the mixture and set aside for the topping.
4. Add the hot water, molasses, and baking soda into the rest of the mixture.
5. Pour into a greased and floured 9 by 13 inch pan. Sprinkle the reserved crumb mixture on top and bake at 350°F for 35–45 minutes (until a toothpick comes out clean).
Also by Cassidy: The Brilliant Benefits Of Sun Lamp
Get more like this—Sign up for our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photo: Cassidy Klingman