The summer flavor of peach meets the cozy feeling of coffee cake in this easy and delicious recipe. Perfect for a get-together over a fresh cup of coffee, this vegan peach coffee cake combines the tastes of brown sugar and peaches with some healthy additions such as oatmeal and flax seed.
Vegan Peach Coffee Cake
- 3 tablepoons Grround Flax Seed
- 6 tablespoons Water
- 3/4 cup Coconut Milk
- 1 tablespoon Apple Cider Vinegar
- 3/4 cup Apple Sauce
- 1/2 cup Sugar
- 1/2 cup Brown Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 2 cups Flour
- 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 2 teaspoons Cinnamon
- 4 Peaches (Peeled, cored and chopped)
- 2-3 teaspoons Lemon Juice
- For the crumble topping:
- 1 cup Oatmeal
- 1/2 cup Brown Sugar
- 1/3 cup Vegan Butter or Organic, Non-Hydrogenated Shortening
- For the Glaze:
- 1/2 cup Powdered Sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 2 tablespoons Coconut Milk
1. Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees and prepare an 8 or 9 inch spring form pan with non-stick cooking spray.
2. Add the ground flax seed to a large mixing bowl, add the water and stir until combined.
3. In a separate bowl, add the apple cider vinegar to the coconut milk and stir.
4. Peel, core and chop the peaches while both the flaxseed mixture and the coconut milk/ACV mixture sets for a few minutes.
5. Add the applesauce to the flax seed mixture and mix on low until combined.
6. Add the sugars and vanilla extract and continue mixing.
7. Sift together the flour, salt, cinnamon, baking powder and baking soda. Add them to the bowl with the sugars/applesauce etc. and continue to mix on low/medium until a thick batter forms.
8. Slowly pour in the coconut milk mixture and continue to mix until well combined.
9. Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
10. Toss the chopped peaches with a little bit of lemon juice and spread the peaches on top of the prepared batter.
11. Combine the crumble topping mixture by adding the oatmeal, brown sugar, an optional shake of cinnamon to your liking and vegan butter/shortening to a bowl.
12. Use your hands to combine the ingredients until a crumble forms.
13. Spread evenly over the peaches and prepared batter.
14. Bake in the oven for approximately 50-55 minutes.
15. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 20-30 minutes.
16. Prepare the glaze by combining the powdered sugar, coconut milk and vanilla in a bowl and stir.
17. Once the cake cools, remove it from the springform pan, pour the glaze on top and enjoy with a fresh cup of coffee!
Get more like this—Subscribe to our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photos: Colette Goguen