- 1/4 cup sunflower oil
- 250 ml unsweetened coconut yogurt
- 10 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp lemon zest
- 1 cup maple syrup (divided into 12 + 4 tbsp)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- one pinch salt
- 4 tbsp poppy seed
- 1-1/2 cup ground almonds
- 2 tbsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1-1/4 cup gluten free flour
- 2 tbsp caster sugar
1. Start with preheating the oven to 180°C.
2. Using a large bowl mix together the oil, yogurt, 8 tbsp lemon juice, lemon zest, 12 tbsp maple syrup, vanilla, salt, poppy seeds and ground almonds.
3. Stir in the flour, baking powder and baking soda as well.
4. Mix well, you can add a splash of plant-based milk if it’s looking too dry or more plant based yogurt.
5. Transfer mixture into a loaf tin lined with baking paper.
6. Bake in oven for 45 minutes until risen and golden brown and an inserted skewer comes out clean. Meanwhile in a smaller bowl whisk together 2 tbs lemon juice, 4 tbsp maple syrup, and caster sugar.
7. Once out of the oven, transfer the cake from the baking tin onto a wire rack, leave it to cool completely before applying the frosting.
Tastes best eaten on the day it’s made, but keeps covered in the fridge for up to a few days. Reheat in the toaster if you like! But I really doubt you’ll have leftovers from it…
Also see: Vegan Coconut Rum Cake
Get more like this—Sign up for our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photo: Imola Toth