In the midst of a heatwave, I find myself gravitating towards all things tropical. Fresh fruit, iced beverages and coconutty everything. This rum cake is no exception; with tastes of the Caribbean, this exotic loaf combines the flavors of a rum cocktail with a surprising sweet and sticky frosting.
Whether you’re wanting to wow your in-laws, have a sweet treat to accompany a barbecue or fancy spicing up your coffee morning, this loaf delivers.
I used vegan-friendly Kraken rum for this concoction, along with fresh lime juice and desiccated coconut. The date topping really turns out best with the softest, squishiest dates you can find. Otherwise, just soak a batch that are on the drier side for about 15 minutes so as to allow to soften.
Vegan Coconut Rum Cake With A Salted Date Caramel Frosting
- 1 Cup Coconut Milk (or sub other non-dairy)
- 2 Teaspoons Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla
- 2 1/4 Cups All purpose flour (or sub half whole wheat)
- 1 1/2 Teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1/4 Cup Desiccated Coconut
- 1/4 Cup Vegan Rum (I use Kraken)
- 1/2 Cup Sugar
- 2 Tablespoons Maple Syrup
- 1 Lime (juiced)
- 8-10 Medjool Dates
- Pinch Sea Salt
1. Start out by preheating your oven to about 320°F/160°C and greasing and lining a loaf pan.
2. In a small bowl, combine the coconut or other non-dairy milk with the apple cider vinegar and vanilla. Allow to froth for a few minutes.
3. Meanwhile, combine flour, baking powder, desiccated coconut, rum, sugar, lime juice and maple syrup in a large bowl.
4. Add the milk mix to the large bowl and gently mix to combine. Transfer to your loaf pan and bake for 20-25 minutes until inserted skewer comes out clean.
5. While the loaf is cooling, prepare your date caramel. Place your dates in a small food processor with a splash of water and pulse until smooth. You’ll need to frequently pause and scrape down the sides with a spatula, but persist and you’ll end up with a real treat! Add in the sea salt at the end.
6. When the cake has cooled for about 10 minutes, gently remove from the pan and allow to cool completely before slathering the date caramel on top.
NOTE: The volume of rum used in this cake makes it pretty strong, so remember to enjoy responsibly or, of course, use less as you see fit. This cake does have a drier texture when made with whole wheat flour, so bear in mind that it won’t keep as long if you go for this option. Keep in an airtight container for 2-3 days (if you can resist it that long!).
Related: Vegan Chocolate Chip Date Bread
Get more like this—Subscribe to our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photos: Kat Kennedy