I used a yellow plantain for this recipe and I think that is what will work best. Green plantains are too starchy and black plantains will be too soft. Once baked, you can stuff these with any kind of beans, seitan, or filling that you prefer. I served these alone but you could add some rice and greens on the side for a more substantial meal.
Black Bean Lime Stuffed Plantain
- 3 yellow plantains
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup black beans
- 1/4 cup red onion, diced
- 1/4 cup orange bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 jalapeño, minced
- 1 tbsp garlic, minced
- 1 lime, juiced
- handful fresh cilantro
- salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 400°F.
2. Cut the ends off of the plantains. Slice the skin the length of the plantains and peel.
3. Coat the plantains in olive oil and lay them on a baking sheet. Bake for 12 minutes, flip, and bake for another 12 minutes.
4. While the plantains are baking, prepare the filling. Add the black beans, onions, peppers, jalapeños, and garlic to a large bowl and mix well.
5. Squeeze the juice from 1 lime over the mix.
6. Shred the cilantro and add to the bowl. Stir well.
7. Season with salt and pepper.
8. Remove plantains from the oven. Use a knife to make a slit down the middle. Stuff with filling.
Get more like this—Sign up for our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photo: Lauren Sacerdote