A version of this recipe previously appeared on Raw by Nature.
When I lived in San Francisco I spent a lot of time at Café Gratitude. I loved it there–for so many reasons. First, it was here that I became introduce to and truly inspired by the art of raw vegan food. It was also where I found a sense of community and I was touched deeply by the people I met here and their own stories towards finding health and wellness. One of the things I loved about the cafés was that they offered a Gratitude Bowl–it was a beautiful bowl of marinated kale, avocado and their special tahini sauce, and you could pay whatever you could for the bowl. It was their way of helping people to eat well, no matter their financial situation.
This dish originally stemmed from that idea. And then it went one step further. I made this dish around the time of Thanksgiving, and although in Australia we don’t celebrate Thanksgiving, the flavors of the food enjoyed at this time of the year inspired me. When I did live in California and also in Vancouver, I fell in love with the Fall there, or Autumn as we call it here, and again, this bowl is a reminder of this spectacular time of the year–when pumpkins, persimmons and pecans make up so many dishes that I remember so fondly. This bowl has three separate dishes combined that you can enjoy on their own, but they are also easy to make and the combination is worth the extra time. Share this bowl with someone special, or enjoy it by yourself and take a moment to give thanks for all that you have in your life.
We are so blessed.
Café Gratitude-Inspired Cauli, Kale & Sweet Potato Bowl
- For the Cauliflower
- 1/2 large cauliflower
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teasspoon olive oil
- seeds of one pomegranate
- 2 tablespoons peptitas
- 3 tablespoons toasted coconut- simply toast your coconut under a grill for a few minutes
- For the Sweet Potatoes
- 2 sweet potatoes
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- a good pinch of salt and freshly cracked pepper
- a good dash of cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons chopped pecans
- 1 tablespoon dried cranberries (optional)
- For the Kale
- 12 kale stems, leaves only
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- a good pinch of salt
Warm Cauliflower Salad With Pomegranate And Coconut
1. Cut the cauliflower into bite-size florets and steam for 10 minutes or so to soften.
2. Line a baking tray with baking paper and transfer the cauliflower to the tray. Sprinkle with the spices, salt and olive oil and mix with your hands. Allow the cauliflower to bake for 10-15 minutes in a hot preheated oven until it just begins to crisp at the edges.
3. Allow the cauliflower to cool slightly and then mix with the pomegranate seeds, pepitas and coconut. Mix well and set aside whilst you make the other two dishes.
Sweet as Sweet Potatoes
1. Wash your sweet potatoes and prick lightly with a fork. Then wrap the potatoes separately in foil and place in a preheated oven on 400°F for around 45 minutes or until the potatoes are very tender.
2. When the potatoes are very soft, unwrap them and allow them to cool slightly, then transfer them to a large bowl and mash well. Add the coconut oil, salt, pepper, cinnamon, pecans, and cranberries and mix to combine.
Chop the kale very well and then add to a bowl with the oil, lemon and salt. Use your hands to massage the kale well until it begins to wilt and become soft. Massage until it shrinks in size and is no longer course.
To assemble the entire bowl:
To assemble the bowl, evenly divide the three dishes into two bowls. Enjoy with a heart full of gratitude.
Related: Vegan Thai Avocado Noodle Bowl
Get more like this—Subscribe to our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photos: Kelly Alexander