The power and creativity of plants could not be highlighted more than in this vegan taco recipe. Sure, it’s easy to incorporate the spices but how on earth will I substitute the ground beef or the shredded chicken?
Here’s the meaty secret. Jackfruit.
Before you ask who Jack is, jackfruit is a unique tropical fruit that is grown in the tropics. Bulbous and enormous, it is a common sight in Southeast Asia and can be found in many Asian markets in the US. Procuring a fresh jackfruit may not be possible depending on where you live. Not to the mention it’s quite laborious to cut it yourself. Your best bet is to get the canned version.
Jackfruit is somewhat a savior to veganizing traditional dishes that revolve around animal meat. This versatile fruit can dupe even the staunchest meat-eater by its stringy texture that resembles pulled pork. Glazed with homemade Asian BBQ sauce, this taco recipe will have your mouth searching for more of that Jack(fruit)!
Vegan Asian BBQ Jackfruit Tacos
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1/4 cup tamari sauce
- 5 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 1 tablespoon chili sauce or Sriracha
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 cup water
- 10 taco shells
- 1 can jackfruit, drained and rinsed
- shredded purple cabbage
- sliced avocado
- sliced carrots
- sliced radish
- cilantro (optional)
- sesame seeds (optional)
1. Add coconut sugar, tamari sauce, garlic, black pepper, rice vinegar, ketchup, chili sauce to a mixing bowl. Whisk thoroughly.
2. In separate bowl, mix water and cornstarch. Combine with BBQ sauce and whisk well.
3. Using a fork, pull the jackfruit apart. It will look like shredded meat.
4. Coat saucepan with ¼ cup of water and set on medium heat. Add jackfruit with the BBQ sauce.
5. Stir until jackfruit is completely coated.
6. Bring to a boil, then cover pan and let simmer for 1-1½ hour on low heat.
7. Once done assemble the rest of the fillings. Fill tacos with BBQ jackfruit, purple cabbage, and radish.
8. Top with optional cilantro and sesame seeds.
Also by Vivian: Vegan Banana Oatmeal Blender Pancakes
Get more like this—Subscribe to our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photos: Vivian Lee