1. Thoroughly rinse and drain the three cans of jackfruit. Set aside.
2. Prepare sauce. First, dice 1 clove of garlic and ¼ of one red onion.
3. In a bowl, add the diced garlic, diced onion, ketchup, canola oil, molasses, brown (or) muscovado sugar, rice vinegar, ground cayenne/red pepper, salt, and black pepper. Stir until all ingredients are incorporated.
4. Place the drained jackfruit and sauce in the Crock-Pot, making sure to gently coat all of the jackfruit in the sauce evenly.
5. Set Crock-Pot to high for 1 hour.
6. After 1 hour, remove Crock-Pot lid (pro tip: don’t place your face directly over the Crock-Pot as you open it or you’ll get a nose-full of vinegar air that’s been building up). Using two forks, gently shred jackfruit in the sauce.
7. Using my staple coleslaw recipe (link below), layer your hamburger buns with the pulled jackfruit--maybe, if you’re like me, topping it with some of the extra sauce--and topping it off with approximately a ¼ cup of coleslaw.
8. Put back on that top bun, repeat two more times, and get ready for some real vegan southern comfort food!
I pictured the BBQ pulled jackfruit sandwiches with my staple coleslaw because nothing is more classic, and delicious, as sweet pulled BBQ with crisp tangy slaw. And while the idea of homemade coleslaw can seem arduous, it is so darn easy! Don’t waste your pennies on the premade slaw when you can wow your party guests, or lets be real--your family on a Friday night, with something you made yourself!
Get the coleslaw recipe here: Healthy Sides: Creamy Country Vegan Coleslaw
Whether you’re a slaw-topper like me, or like your BBQ straight up, this BBQ pulled jackfruit recipe is sure to satisfy your soul and your tummy!
Also by Missy: Vegan Slow Cooker Taco Caserole
Related: BBQ Sriracha Seitan Pizza
Southern Style Vegan BBQ Tofu
Get more like this—Subscribe to our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photos: Missy Ruttencutter