Is winter over yet? January almost is, but the chill still seeps into my jacket before I make it to the car most mornings. We’re in that strange phase of winter where the cold seems like its here to stay all year, so I’m keeping the comfort food coming. Just in case.
I made a veggie chili earlier this week with chunks of sweet potato, but, after tasting it, confirmed that there weren’t enough sweet potato chunks in it to get that sweet/spicy pairing I was going for. I knew I needed to add some sweet potato to even things out a bit. It occurred to me that it might be a lot faster to stuff all that spicy beans mixture into a baked sweet potato to achieve the same effect, so that’s exactly what I did.
Meals like this come together really quickly at my house, especially if you have the sweet potatoes baked beforehand like I often do! They’re a great source of complex carbs and are easy to add into dishes during the busy work week. Don’t be intimidated by the long prep time on the recipe below, as most of this is for the sweet potato baking. I encourage you to bake your sweet potatoes and chili in advance, store separately, and assemble during the week for a fast and nutritious meal.
This recipe is also gluten-free and oil-free. If you use oil and would like to in this recipe, add some to the veggies in place of the initial veggie broth. The sweetness of the sweet potatoes pairs perfectly with the spicy, hearty bean mixture to make a well-balanced meal. Add some toppings for added flavor and you have a regular sweet potato fiesta. I kept it simple with vegan yogurt and fish cilantro, but I think pomegranate seeds, hot sauce, salsa, or avocado/guacamole would also be fantastic.
End your January with this ultimate blend of comfort and health!
Chili Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
- 3 sweet potatoes
- 1 can of black or kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup white onion, diced
- 1 cup crushed or diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup veggie broth
- 1.5 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- pinch chipotle powder
- pinch himalayan sea salt
- vegan yogurt to top
- fresh chopped cilantro to top
1. Preheat oven to 400°F and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Stab the sweet potatoes with a fork several times and bake on cookie sheet for about an hour. Remove from the oven and check to make sure the flesh is fork tender.
2. While the sweet potato is baking, make your chili filling on the stove top. Heat a medium sized skillet over medium heat and add a few tablespoons of veggie broth. Once warm, add in the onion and sauté until translucent, about 3-5 minutes. Add the red bell pepper and sauté another few minutes.
3. Next, add the tomato sauce, the remaining veggie broth, and your spices. Stir to combine. Reduce heat and allow to simmer for about 10 minutes.
4. To serve, slice sweet potatoes down the center and fluff the insides. Divide the bean mixture between the 3 potatoes, and stuff the inside of each potato. Top with vegan yogurt and fresh cilantro.
Also by Lauren: Gluten-Free Ragu Stuffed Eggplant
Related: Sweet Potato Tofu Quesadilla
Get more like this—Subscribe to our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photos: Lauren Kirchmaier