Confession: I followed football for a whole season (when I was in 9th grade and all of my classmates were cheering on the Carolina Panthers and crushing on Jake Delhomme)--and then I completely lost interest. I never remember when the Superbowl is supposed to be (wintertime?), and I don't know which teams are doing the best during a given year. But I never stopped loving Superbowl parties! Any excuse to chill with friends and eat finger food is a good excuse in my book. Unfortunately, a lot of traditional football snacks aren't vegan-friendly (think hot wings, ranch dip, and pigs-in-a-blanket). So it's up to us plant lovers to get creative and introduce delicious plant-based treats to Superbowl Sunday. These tangy salt and balsamic vinegar sweet potato crisps are on my list of yummy vegan appetizers. They're wonderful on their own, and they also pair well with any range of dips (hummus comes to mind!). I hope you enjoy these--and may the best team win! (Which is team veg, obviously!) ;)
Vegan Superbowl Recipes: Salt & Balsamic Vinegar Sweet Potato Crisps
YIELDS 4 servings
- 2 cups balsamic vinegar (or vinegar of your choice; white works, too)
- 2 sweet potatoes, cut into thin slices (about 1/4 inch thick)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2-3 teaspoons coarse sea salt
- black pepper to taste
- dried oregano for garnish
1. Slice potatoes lengthwise about 1/4-inch thick. 2. In a large pot, bring vinegar to a boil. (Crack the windows while you're at it--it's going to get stinky!) Add potato slices and reduce to simmer. Cook for 7-8 minutes or until the slices are fork tender. 3. Remove pot from heat, and allow to sit (uncovered) for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, line a baking sheet with foil and preheat the oven to 500°F. 4. Drain potatoes and pat dry. Toss with olive oil and salt. Arrange on the pan in a single layer. 5. Bake for 7 minutes. Flip slices. Bake on the other side for another 7 minutes or until crispy. Sprinkle with oregano. 6. Allow potato crisps to cool completely before storing them in an airtight container--or enjoy them immediately!
More fun Superbowl ideas: Easy Jalepeño Poppers
Get more like this—Subscribe to our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photos: Mary Hood Luttrell