Life is uncertain, but if there is one thing of which I’m sure, it’s that I can make a mean pancake. And my newest pancake recipe might just be my favorite yet: chai spice pancakes! With a warming DIY chai spice mixture and a little bit of sugar for sweetness, these flapjacks make an excellent winter breakfast on a lazy Sunday morning. If you’d like, you can make a double batch and freeze half for weeks when you don’t have time to cook.
You can serve these pancakes with a pat of vegan butter and maple syrup, but to take things to the next level, I recommend a smear of almond butter and banana. Yum!
Vegan Chai Spice Pancakes
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup organic sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon cloves
- 2 1/4 cups non-dairy milk
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons neutral-flavored oil, plus more for frying
1. In a medium bowl, mix together flours, baking powder, and spices.
2. In a small bowl, whisk together milk and vinegar until milk becomes foamy. Stir in vanilla extract.
3. Make a well in the dry ingredients and pour in the milk mixture. Mix together until a batter forms. Add oil to mixture and stir again. The batter should be thin and pourable.
4. Heat oil in frying pan over medium-low heat. When oil is heated, scoop pancake batter (I use a 1/4 cup) and pour into skillet. Cook until bubbles start to form at the top of the pancake (30 seconds to a minute), and flip using a spatula and cook for another minute or so. Once pancake is cooked through, place on a plate and cover with a kitchen towel to keep warm. Repeat for remaining pancakes.
5. Serve with your favorite toppings and sides!
Also by Molly: Vegan Chocolate Protein Pancakes
Get more like this—Subscribe to our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photos: Molly Lansdowne