Green juice may no longer be as trendy as bone broth (no thanks) or unicorn lattes, and they’ve gotten some flack from nutritionists for sometimes containing too much fruit sugar (and often being posed as a weight loss/detox cure-all), but I still love their fresh, tangy taste and smell. Despite my appreciation of hearty green salads (or a solid multivitamin, for that matter), I just *feel* ultra healthy when I supplement my day with a fresh green juice.
Alas, green juice can be a drag to make (cleaning up a juicer is no one’s idea of fun), and purchasing fresh juice can be costly as well as wasteful since juice usually comes in a disposable plastic cup or bottle. This is why super greens powder can come in handy. While it doesn’t count as consuming greens in their original state and it just doesn’t have the refreshing zing of just-pressed juice, it’s a great nutritional back-up for those days when you’re running around and you find yourself cutting some nutritional corners (it happens!).
I personally find that a tasty greens powder (they do exist!) is an excellent way to start a workday morning as I whip up my breakfast. I’ll also enjoy a glass after a particularly intense workout. While many greens powder brands market their product as a complete replacement for your multivitamin or the most efficient way to alkalize or detox your system, I simply look at greens powder as another supplement to a balanced diet featuring mostly whole foods.
Tip for shopping for a super greens powder:
- If you’re concerned about digestibility, look for greens powders that include digestive enzymes. It’s possible that greens powders may lose their digestive enzymes in the dehydrating process. In theory, a greens powder with digestive enzymes will make the product easier to digest and gentler on your system.
- Skip greens powders with fillers like lecithin, fibers, pectin, rice bran, and flax. (While flax is a superfood, it doesn’t need to take the place of greens in your greens powder—get the most greens for your buck!)
- Make sure your greens powder is low in sugar. This is one advantage greens powder have over juice—although containing some fruit, most are much lower in sugar than your average fruit-sweetened fresh green juice.
- Consider the blend of greens. Some greens powder feature three star super greens (like wheat grass, alfalfa, and barley grass) while others include a little bit of seemingly everything—broccoli, kale, spinach, spirulina… Both can be good options. It’s just a matter of what you’d like featured in your diet.
- Shop around. Most super greens powders come in big tubs as well as single-serving packets. While the latter isn’t a long-term solution, the little packets may be a good way to sample options until you’ve found your favorite. Trust me, you’ll want to enjoy the taste and texture—otherwise, your greens will be a chore to drink!
- Research subscription/bulk purchasing options. Greens powders are not cheap. If you’d like to incorporate them into your diet regularly, see if there’s a way to subscribe and receive a discount.
- Aim for organic or mostly organic ingredients.
Best vegan super greens powders:
Athletic Greens Premium Superfood Cocktail
Containing the antioxidant equivalent of 12 servings of vegetables, a single scoop of this slightly minty, slightly fruity greens powder also features mushrooms like reishi and shiitake as well as adaptogens astragalus and ashwagandha. It’s a favorite of 4-hour body wizard Tim Ferriss.
WelleCo The Super Elixir
Vegan goddess Elle Macpherson developed this super greens powder with the help of Dr. Simone Laubscher, Nutritional Doctor, Ph.D. The special blend contains pomegranate, kelp, turmeric, aloe vera, horsetail, and dandelion to fight inflammation, support a healthy digestive system, and provide silica, an important beauty nutrient necessary for building collagen. Users report it tastes surprisingly good!
Garden of Life Raw Organic Perfect Food
Packed with over 30 nutrient-dense plants, this greens powder is Certified USDA Organic and Non-GMO Project Verified. The featured grasses are juiced and cold-temperature dried immediately at the Garden of Life farm within an hour of harvesting, a method that aims to preserve concentrated nutrition. Raw Organic Perfect Food features prebiotics, probiotics, and enzymes.
Amazing Grass Amazing Trio Greens
Grown on a Kansas family farm, organic wheat grass, alfalfa, and barley grass come together to give you a nutritional boost with three of the most celebrated super greens around. Amazing Grass Amazing Trio has a reputation for boosting energy naturally (no jitters!). This is the perfect supplement if you’re looking for a simple, no-fuss shot of greens.
Do you take a super greens powder? Which one is your favorite?
Related: Low-Sugar Super Green Smoothie
I Make This Celery Juice Recipe Every Day To Banish Bloating—No Juicer Needed!
Check Out These Top Model-Approved Smoothie and Juice Recipes
Get more like this—Subscribe to our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photo: Respective Brands