Chicken salad is a prized possession in many households. I know it is in my house. With this simple vegan recipe, you can make chickpea un-chicken salad for the entire week! Not only is it nostalgic and delicious, but it's also a meal prep that will last you throughout the week. It really doesn't get much better than that. Oh, and did I mention it is super easy to throw together?
Chickpeas are an amazing source of vitamins, minerals, and fiber. These little beans help to improve digestion as well as weight management. Additionally, chickpeas are high in protein. In fact, they are comparable to black beans and lentils in the protein department. You will also be getting a protein punch from the sunflower seeds and the almond slices!
Toast two pieces of bread, grab some greens and chop up an avocado, and you have yourself a nutritious lunch that will stick with you all day. If you aren't feeling super hungry, that's okay too. Just grab some crackers and use this salad as a dip instead. I have listed out the portions I used for each ingredient, but you can really change the amounts to whatever fits your taste buds. You can even switch out the vegetables. That's the fun part about this recipe, it's extremely versatile!
1. Start by letting your chickpeas soak for at least four hours, or over night if that’s easier for you.
2. when you are ready to begin the dish, cook the chickpeas for 30 minutes.
3. When this is done, drain out the water and through them in a large bowl.
4. Mash them up while they are hot. Make sure to leave a few whole pieces for texture.
5. Chop up your celery and dice up your onion and throw this into the bowl, as well as the carrots.
6. Now throw in the almonds and sunflower seeds
7. Chop up the dill and throw it in next
8. Add the salt and pepper.
9. Now add the vegan mayonnaise, mustard and hot sauce.
10. Mix everything together really well, and store in the fridge
11. Serve cold on a sandwich or as a dip with crackers!