I love to make this stir-fry for an easy weeknight meal when I'm short on time. It comes together quickly in just one pan! Try serving it over quinoa or brown rice for additional protein but it's also a full meal as is. I love mine with a few slices of fresh avocado. Enjoy!
Vegan Orange “Chicken” Stir-Fry With Chickpeas & Fresh Veggies
- 1 15 oz can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 head broccoli, chopped into florets
- 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 tablespoon avocado oil
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- pinch red pepper flakes
- freshly squeezed juice from one orange
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon Tamari lite (or reduced sodium soy sauce)
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh grated ginger
- quinoa or brown rice for serving
1. Add the orange juice, maple syrup, and soy sauce to a large bowl. Set aside for later.
2. Next, preheat a large skillet or pan over medium-high heat and add the avocado oil.
3. Add chickpeas and onion, and cook until they turn a golden brown and the onion is translucent.
4. Next add in garlic powder, ginger, broccoli, and bell pepper; and cook for about 3 minutes until slightly softened.
5. Pour the sauce into the pan and stir to combine.
6. Reduce heat to medium-low and let the veggies absorb the sauce for a few minutes.
7. Serve immediately over quinoa or brown rice. Garnish with red pepper flakes for spice.
Also by Lauren: Quick Vegan Quinoa Veggie Stir-Fry
Related: Spiralized Beet & Blood Orange Salad
Vegan Asian BBQ Jackfruit Tacos
Get more like this—Subscribe to our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photos: Lauren Kirchmaier