During the warmer months, I always try to remember that the number of times my body tells me it is hungry is a lie, and in fact, it’s probably just thirsty. I try to keep my body hydrated by eating fruits and veggies with a high water content, as well as juicing them. One of my favorite fruit and veggie juice combinations is carrot, orange, ginger, and beet. This has been my go-to juice since I bought my juicer. As often as I drink this juice, I realized I had never had these foods all together as a whole before–without being juiced together.
As a meal, this salad tastes similar to the juice it was inspired by. It is refreshing, sweet, and tangy, and it fills you up without weighing you down. It is almost completely raw, allowing the body to absorb the ample amounts of vitamin C it brings to the table.
Spiralized Beet and Blood Orange Salad
- 1 cooked beet
- 1/2 carrot
- 1/2 purple onion, sliced
- 1 tablespoon green onion, to top
- 1 blood orange
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon cane sugar
- sliced almonds to top
- salt & pepper to taste
1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Cook the beet until soft. (It may take about 10 minutes.) Remove from water.
2. Spiralize the beet and carrot. Toss in a bowl.
3. Add the sliced onion and toss together.
4. Add oil, lime juice, ginger, and sugar to bowl and toss well to coat.
5. Slice an orange into slices and peel off the skin. Add to bowl.
6. Top with green onion, sliced almonds, and salt and pepper to taste.
Also by Lauren: Vegan Curried Cauliflower and Chickpea Bisque
Related: Green Curry and Quinoa Veggie Salad
Get more like this—Subscribe to our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photos: Lauren Sacerdote