I like to top my rice pudding with puréed fruit to enhance the flavor. I had mango on hand so that is what I used, but feel free to experiment with whatever fruit you like. This is tasty enough to also be enjoyed as a healthy dessert alternative to other fatty treats. I prefer to enjoy this served warm but it is also delicious cold and makes for a quick and easy breakfast when made ahead of time.
- 1 can coconut milk
- 2 1/2 cups almond milk
- 1/2 cup cane sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp ground cardamom
- 1/2 cup white long grain rice
- for the topping:
- 1 mango, cubed
- 1/4 cup cane sugar
- juice from 1 lime
- zest from 1 lime
- shredded coconut to top
1. In a large pot, add the coconut milk, almond milk, and sugar. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer.
2. Stir in the vanilla, ginger, cardamom, and rice.
3. Let simmer and bubble, stirring continuously, until rice is cooked through and creamy, about 30 minutes.
4. While rice is cooking, make your purée. Add mango chunks, sugar, and lime to a blender and blend until completely smooth and liquid. Set aside.
5. Remove rice pudding from heat.
6. To serve, drizzle mango purée over a bowl of rice pudding and top with lime zest and shredded coconut.
Also by Lauren: Coconut Curried Quinoa Salad with Cashews & Cranberries
Get more like this—Sign up for our daily inspirational newsletter for exclusive content!
Photo: Lauren Sacerdote